Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Life in New York

So I thought I would give you some of my thought about living here in New York. I've come to realize that it is what it is. I just need to get use to it. Some things that really bother me are. First, the drivers. They drive way too fast and never let you over when you have your blinker on. They would rather race you than be a nice person and let you in. For instance, today Abby and I went with a friend and her two kids in their van to do some shopping. We were at a red light just waiting and all of the sudden--SMACK!-- a car hit us from behind. She was going too fast and just couldn't stop in time. So now here I am with a hurt neck and a 3 year old not feeling so good tonight and scared to get in a car. Thanks a lot New York drivers. Second, it's hard to find a good place to eat. Okay you might be thinking "What? You live in New York," but we don't live right in New York City. We are about an hour from the city. I can't find a good Mexican restaurant. I really miss Arizona when I'm craving Mexican food. Anyways not so impressed with the food chooses here.
My next frustration I know is no ones fault but come on Mormons don't you want to live on Long Island? The church here is a little different. We are use to the big wards in Utah or Arizona where you are lucky if you get a calling or your really lucky if you get to speak in sacrament once every five years. Well here it's a little different. Your lucky if you get no less then three callings and here you get to say one of the prayers in sacrament every other week. You also get to talk in sacrament once a month. Here is an example, Sunday I conducted primary, played the piano in primary and I am the secretary which meant I took the rolls around to the classes and picked then up. Gavin on the other hand had it much easier then I did. His Sundays start like this; 7:00 am PEC meeting, then sets up all the chairs in the church for classes, then he either blesses or passes the sacrament, then he teaches his Sunday School class and then since he is the Elder Quorum President and has no counselors he teaches Elders Quorum also. We are blessed with our callings but really can't any of you find a reason to move to Long Island?
All in all I am trying to enjoy myself here. I know I just rambled on but thought I would share just a few things that I deal with each week.

6 comments:

{Erica} said...

k first...ouch about the car accident! I hope your neck gets better and the fear of getting into a car subsides! yikes!
Second, it sounds like new york is pretty much like Iowa. I used to think Utah was lame and now....oh how I miss it. It was a hard adjustment going from knowing everyone around you was Mormon to being the only one for miles! I have 3 callings too!! And don't even get me started on good places to eat...we've got a good variety here but NO good Mexican places and that's my favorite food! I can't wait to get back to utah!

Unknown said...

Jamie,

I am so happy you found our blog, now we can keep in touch a little better.

New York sounds like a completely different place. At least you only have to live there a few years :)! Hang in there!

Love the blog, you don't need any advice from me :), but I did do it myself (editted the HTML), I can email you the directions if you want! --Jen Roper

kh said...

Hey, if food sent in the mail was actually edible when it arrived, I'd send you some now.

I live in AZ. What's your fav restaurant?

Never been to NYC. Sounds like everyother big city in the country; bad drivers, (try dealing with SNOWBIRDS!) bad food, (believe me it's here too!) and okay, you have it worse than I do at church. My husband has been to Long Island for business several times and wants to take me next time. I'd like to see NYC, anyway I can get it.

Kristy Martin said...

hey Jamie! It was fun to see your page! My cousin Brittany (Patrick) just got married and moved to long Island..I have no idea how big it is, but if there's not many mormoms, you may run into her!

Messimoo said...

Ah, I loved not having so many members; however, I can understand why it would be an adjustment. Plus, I grew up that way so never had a calling, especially since they seemed to try to give them to the less active....hmmmmmm.....

Sorry about the accident. My neck hurts for you. Did you go have your little bambino checked out?

Elizabeth said...

Hope you and Abby are feeling all right now from that car accident. My sister-in-law and husband were in Iowa for chiropractic school, and they had similar experiences with the church there as they were in a small branch.
Good luck with everything. I am sure your ward loves you guys!